Your Comprehensive Source for the Hancock County, Indiana, Government
Hancock County was formed in 1828 and named after John Hancock, President of the Continental Congress. The county government is a constitutional body made up of the County Council, Board of Commissioners, Court and County Officials.
County Council: The county council is the legislative branch of the county government and controls all the spending and revenue collection in the county. Representatives are elected from county districts. The council members serve four year terms. They are responsible for setting salaries, the annual budget, and special spending.
Board of Commissioners: The board of commissioners is the executive body of the county government. The commissioners are elected county-wide, in staggered terms, and each serves a four-year term. The commissioners are charged with executing the acts legislated by the council, collecting revenue, and managing the day-to-day functions of the county government.
Court: The county maintains a small claims court that can handle some civil cases. The judge on the court is elected to a term of four years and must be a member of the Indiana Bar Association. The judge is assisted by a constable who is also elected to a four-year term.
County Officials: The county has several other elected offices, including Sheriff, Coroner, Auditor, Treasurer, Recorder, Surveyor, and Circuit Court Clerk. Each of these elected officers serves a term of four years.
Hancock County, Indiana, includes the following cities:
Hancock County, Indiana, includes the following townships:
Select the year below to view the Hancock County Holiday Schedule.
Taxes received after the due date will receive a 10% penalty unless they have a cancellation for the post office of the due date. No exceptions.
Taxes are always due May 10th and November 10th, unless this date falls on a holiday or weekend, then the deadline will be the next business day.
Hancock County Courthouse was designed by Fort Wayne architects, Wing & Mahurin, and constructed from 1896-1897. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.